Probably all kids love to eat ball-shaped food because it’s fun and because they can hold it in their hands and feel independent! And what I love about it, is that I can make a big batch and then store them in the freezer for later. This Veggie Pesto Chicken Balls recipe is an easy one for the whole family (you can even serve it with some Extra Hot Sauce to give it a kick for dads!)
For the Pesto, you can either buy ready-made pesto, or choose to make it yourself like we did. It’s always healthier to make your pesto at home because you’re never sure of all the added salt and preservatives from store-bought brands, and you can even freeze the rest of the batch after you make it!
Here’s the recipe:
Title: Veggie Pesto Chicken Balls
Servings: Around 30 Chicken Balls
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients for Fresh Homemade Pesto
- 2 Bunches Fresh Basil
- 1/2 Cup of Pine Nuts
- 3 cloves Roasted Garlic.
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil.
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese (Optional)-We made the Pesto Dairy-free so that Samy would be able to enjoy them as well as Freya!
Instructions for Homemade Pesto
To make the pesto, mix the basil, pine nuts, garlic and salt/pepper in a food processor or blender. Add Olive oil, and stir well. If you don’t want to make a Vegan/Dairy Free Pesto, don’t forget to add the Parmesan to the mixture!
Ingredients For the Chicken Balls
- 450g or 1 pound Chicken Breast
- 1 medium Carrot
- 1 Cup Shredded Zucchini
- 1/2 medium Red Bell Pepper
- 3 tablespoon of Homemade Pesto
- 1 tablespoon of Avocado or Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Instructions Veggie Chicken Balls
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Vegetable Mixture: Shred the Zucchini, Carrot, and Bell Pepper in a Grinder.
- Add 3 Tablespoons of Pesto to the Veggie mixture and stir to combine
- Grind Chicken Breasts with a food processor and add to the Veggie mixture.
- Make them Ball Shaped & Line on a baking sheet with a drizzle of Oil>
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius , for around 15 minutes
- Serve the chicken balls alone, or with a side of tomato sauce!