Everyone seeks to have a clean and healthy home, but, just like us, you might be surprised to discover that there are far dirtier places in your house than just your bathroom. So don’t forget to add those key spots to your cleaning routine!
Kitchen (This is the most important room in the house, it’s where you prepare food for you and your kids)
- Dish Sponges: How ironic is it that the one item that is used to keep things clean can be the germiest item in the house?! Tip: Microwave damp moist sponges for two minutes, and replace them every month.
- Counters and surfaces: Please pay extra attention when handling raw chicken, meat, or fish! And always disinfect the area prior to handling food and after it.
- Kitchen sinks: Many people would consider washing the toilet bowl but not their kitchen sink, although the kitchen sink may be dirtier than the bathroom! Tip: Wash your sink (don’t forget the drain plug) with water and bleach every night!
- Salt & Pepper Shakers: Everybody uses these daily. Imagine the ones you touch at restaurants!
- Stove Knobs: You usually touch these while handling your food. Tip: Clean them with soapy water every week!
- Refrigerator & microwave handles: You can clean these spots once a week with disinfecting wipes.
Bathroom (The heat and humidity of the bathroom make it a primary area for mould and bacteria)
- Faucets, handles & switches: They get so dirty since everybody touches them before they clean their hands. Always clean and disinfect.
- Shower curtains and the tiles: Don’t forget to clean them every once in a while with some bleach.
- Toothbrush holders: Now who ever remembers to clean their toothbrush holders?
Bedrooms & Playrooms
- Stuffed Animals: All the stuffed animals have to go in the washing machine every once in a while.
- Plastic Toys: These can just go in the dishwasher (if they are good quality).
- Changing table: Clean the changing table every few days with soap and water, or a disinfectant wipe. Or just use a muslin on the table that you can throw in the laundry bag anytime it needs to be changed.
- Keyboards & cell phones: You sneeze on it, you cough on it, and you sometimes even use it in the bathroom (Ha! 😉 ). Try to wipe these with a disinfectant wipe every now and then.
- Remote control: First of all, everybody in the house uses it; second it’s always on the floor or stuffed between the dirty sofa cushion. Wipe them down!
- Video Game controller: We’re pretty sure you’ve already caught your husband or kid eating pizza while playing video games🤦🏻♀️ .
- Keys & Money: You touch these everyday, and you don’t wash your hands after.
- The bottom of your purses & Makeup bags: your cosmetic purse and products can carry a lot of bacteria and cause you skin irritations and eye infections, check how). Keep your cosmetic bags and makeup brushes clean!
Always take out your clean wet laundry and directly put it in the dryer, or dry them out under the sun. If wet clothes stay in the machine for more than 30 minutes, you should consider running another washing cycle!